- We get our 900th Trip Advisor Review!
- We have been chosen to part in an exciting Dark Sky initiative.
- We have been chosen as one of the great views to wake up to in Mid Wales!
- We receive our 800th Trip Advisor review!
- To celebrate our eleventh season we have a new video – just click on the arrow in the middle of the screen to play!
- Ann and Dave stay here 30 times and post our 750th review on TripAdvisor!
- Love is in the air – and in our hot tub!
They say the world is getting smaller by the day and now a little book of poems carried by one of our foriegn guests has proved just that!
Every Sunday, for the last 30 years, Katrien Marcelis-Hanssens of Brussels, has visited her grandmother who shares with her cuttings taken from newspapers relating to Kirsten’s great love of the United Kingdom … and Wales in particular. A few weeks ago Kirsten’s granny showed her a glowing article about us and on the strength of that she and her husband, Johan, decided to come and stay. Arriving at The Old Rectory on the lake Kirsten looked at our website’s blog and saw that Belgium writer, Bart Plouvier, had been a recent guest and was pictured at the top of Cader Idris. (See below). She mentioned this to her husband who then pulled a book of Bart’s poems that he had brought for holiday reading out of his rucksack. “It really was an amazing co-incidence,” said Katrien who works as a banker. Her husband just could not believe this either. “I have always been an admirer of Bart Plouvier’s written work. There is something mystical about his poems and I think they really capture the melancholic feelings of the mountains – something that is so evocative of this part of Wales,” said Johan. The young couple decided that as Bart and his partner had conquered Cader Idris so should they, so on a beautiful autumnal morning they set off from The Old Rectory on the lake and two and half hours later were at the summit. Like many of our guests they got their camera out to prove that they had reached the top and Katrien took a picture of her husband, appropriately enough, reading one of Bart’s poems. The Marcelis – Hanssens have now emailed these images to him to prove that Bart’s poems have really now really reached new heights!