- To celebrate our eleventh season we have a new video – just click on the arrow in the middle of the screen to play!
- Ann and Dave stay here 30 times and post our 750th review on TripAdvisor!
- Love is in the air – and in our hot tub!
- The Visit Wales Inspector calls and we retain our five stars!
- We celebrate our 700th review on Trip Advisor – and most have been good!!!
- We make the TripAdvisor Wall of Fame!
- Henry’s swan song!
"On the shore of Lake Tal-y-llyn beneath Cadair Idris in southern Snowdonia, this peaceful stone-built house has lake views from every window. 'Wonderful: our visit is an annual highlight,' says a regular correspondent. This house is run in a personal style by owners, John, 'a welcoming and chatty host' and Ricky, who cooks the 'very good' evening meals. There is good walking, mountain biking and fishing."
For the fourth year running Ricky Francis, joint owner and chef at The Old Rectory on the lake, has taken part in the annual Race the Train. Organised by Tywyn Rotary Club this grueling event attracted over 1100 runners who started at the same time as a scheduled service from The Wharf. The train steams up the valley and then turns round above Abergynolwyn and returns down the line – stopping at all the stations – the train does the trip in 1 hour 48 minutes. The runners do not travel so far and turn round short of the village. This time Ricky managed to complete the fourteen mile course in 1 hour 51.40 seconds – pruning a good minute off last year’s time.
“Despite the wet conditions I was really pleased with my time and I thank my fellow members of the Meirionydd Running club for their support and encouragement through the year at our weekly training sessions,” says Ricky. “I thank all our friends and guests who helped me to raise yet again £500 for the local mountain rescue service. Encouraged by today’s time I suppose I will have to do it again next year – and who knows I may just do it!”